Sunday 2 December 2012

How Time Flies...

Wow. It's been a month since I last posted. A month! It hardly feels like it, but there it is.
It seems as always that the writing life really does work in an ebb-and-flow sort of fashion. Just last month, I managed 50k in just over two weeks. I was stoked! And still am about that.

Fooled, I expected that my muse would continue spewing out words but life really does catch up on you eventually. My studies have finally finished and Novemeber and Decemeber always seem to be a busy time of year. I've bare written a thing of late, but I tell myself that that is just the way it goes.

I've learnt something valuable this month. That deadlines and motivations really are a key factor in writing.
Some wonder how it is that some writers can spit out 3 - 5 books a year! I myself have come to wonder. And all I can put it down to is that they told themselves that they had no choice.
So, I've given myself a deadline. By New Years Eve, I am aiming to complete the first draft of my rural romance, Fixing Fences.

And just in case this isn't motivation enough for me, I've got a list to remind me of what I could be. I think it's important for writer's to have idols and aspirations. Every time I see a new author emerge (particularly a rural romance author) under the name of one of my favourite publishers, I'm given a goal. To get my story in front of those editors so that I can one day too share wonderful stories with the world.

Another thing I use is bookmarks. 'Bookmarks?' you might say? Yes. When I was at the RWA conference, I met some wonderful authors, many of who I had read their novels and loved. And I had them sign books and bookmarks for me. And much to my delight, many of them wrote messages which have spurred me on, encouraged me to continue on even when at times, I feel I'm stuck in hiatus.

Well, I hope to be blogging a lot more. I have a busy month ahead of me and goals to reach.

Happy reading!

W

4 comments:

  1. Whitney, after all your studying and exams you need a good long break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Coleen. I've definitely enjoyed the time off. :)
      Hope you are doing well with your upcoming releases!
      W

      Delete
  2. I agree with you Whitney - I have no idea how authors get 3-5 books out a year. I can't even complete a polished 2! All the best with your deadline. I'll be checking up come New Years to see how you've gone ;-)

    I love that you keep signed books and bookmarks to keep you going. One of the quotes that keeps me inspired is:

    Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see to the end of your headlights; but you can make the whole trip that way.” - E. L. Doctorow

    Good luck! Madeline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping in, Madeline! That is a very true quote. :)
      A friend of mine is inspired by the quote; 'If you build it, they will come.' You can not entertain your readers unless you finish the book. And if you are struggling with your first, you will never meet your readers if you don't.
      I really treasure my momentos and so far, I've been sticking to my counts. And I feel much better for it.
      Appreciate the visit. :)
      W

      Delete